Return to Frederick Bee History Project

Return to Lim Git Gaow

January 15, 1890 Daily Alta California
Loui Mong in trouble

February 12, 1890 Daily Alta California
Arrival of the Gaelic including Lim Git Gaow

February 28, 1890
Death notice of Loui Mong's wife

March 2, 1890 Daily Alta California
Christian burial of Loui Mong's wife

April 28, 1890
Examination of Lim Git Gaow

April 25, 1891 San Francisco Call
Mong gone wrong

April 25, 1891 Daily Alta California
A Tricky Interpreter

June 16, 1891 San Francisco Call
Loui Mong Gone

June 17, 1891
San Francisco Chronicle
Mong's Fraud: He betrays a white friend and then escapes to China
Loui Mong, the well-known Chinese interpreter who officiated in the Federal courts and Commissioners' offices, has been forced to make his escape to China on account of his complicity in many shady transactions.
Loui has been one of the familiar figures of the Federal building for a long time. He not only adopted the American style of garments and of dressing his hair, but spoke excellent English, and by his studied courtesy and politeness he made many friends. The result was the Loui was enabled to borrow money from many people in sums ranging from $5 to $50.
He has frequently been suspected of fraud in connection with Chinese cases, but no definite charges were ever made against him.
The cause of Loui's flight dates back a year ago, when Loui called on Mrs. C. Cook of 637 Kearney street, accompanied by Tarm Suey. Mrs. Cook had befriended Loui on several occasions, and he told the poor lady a sorrowful tale of Tarm Suey's separation from his desolate wife, who had just arrived from China and could not land without giving a bond of $1,500. The bond was given by Mrs. Cook and her friend William Lake.
When Tarm's wife was ordered remanded she could not be found, and all threats were unavailing. Mrs. Cook was then notified that the sureties would have to make their $1,500 bond good. She appealed to Tarm Suey in vain, and then she went to Assistant District Attorney Witter, who sent for Loui and cross-questioned him. Loui promised to produce Mrs. Tarm Suey in two hours, but before the two hours had passed Loui had boarded the Oceanic and was only his way to China.
It seems that, in addition to this $1,500 bond, Mrs. Cook is also obligated as an indorser on a note of $2,000 given by Louie Mong when he got in trouble and went to Mexico two years ago.
June 19, 1891 San Francisco Call
Loui Mong's bride

July 8, 1891 San Francisco Call
Loui Mong's wife returned to China.

July 14, 1891 San Francisco Call
Search for Chin Lang How

July 15, 1891 San Francisco Chronicle
Loui Mong's Wife
Her Flight from a Chinese Slave-Dealer
How the Tricky Interpreter got a wife on the installment plan
On a steamer which sailed for China a few weeks ago there was a Chinese woman named Tol Ah Way. Some years ago she arrived from the Flowery Kingdom in charge of a well-known Chinese procuress. The Federal officials refused to allow her to land. At that time Loui Mong was the Chinese interpreter in the United States courts, and he took a lively interest in the young Chinese beauty. By means of a little fine work he succeeded in getting her ashore, and in order that he might lose no money by the transaction he made her Mrs. Loui Mong.
About four weeks ago Mong was obliged to flee to China in consequence of certain shady transactions in which he was implicated, and which might have resulted in his being sent to San Quentin had he remained. Mrs. Mong was left almost penniless. Soon after Mong sent for his family, but good Mrs. Mong did not care to join her lord and master. For several days she hesitated, but she finally decided to go when she learned that her husband's relatives were making arrangements to sell her and her little girls to a well-known Chinese slave-dealer, who already owns a number of female chattels. This man pretended to own an interest in Mrs. Mong by reason of a claim which he said Mong had never settled. It seems that this dealer was one of those who imported the woman to this city. When Mong took her he bought her "on tick" so to speak, and he never fully paid for her. Several days before the steamer sailed this man called at Mrs. Mong's house on Clay Street, and demanded either the possession of the woman or her full value in money, the female children counting only as interest on the principal. Mrs. Mong obtained protection for the time being. Rather than lead a wretched life in a house of ill-repute, and see her daughters forced to follow in her footsteps, Mrs. Mong took passage for China, and the slave-dealer is out-of-pocket about two-thirds of her market value.